4 Steps to Take After a Child Is Injured in a New Mexico Car Accident

by | Dec 15, 2021 | Car Accidents, Injuries

There are many things to consider when a child has been injured in a car accident. Although some of the same steps and procedures of any car accident apply, there are special things to think about when an accident involves a child. Here are four steps to take after a child is injured in a New Mexico car accident.

Call Emergency Services

It is important to call emergency services as soon as possible after a child has been injured in a car accident. Your child may be experiencing trauma from the accident even though they may not seem injured. Injuries may not be immediately apparent and can often be debilitating if prompt medical treatment is not obtained. Grabbing a blanket and comforting them by holding their hand and staying positive is important for emotional support. Waiting for help will help your child feel more secure and safe.

The first thing you should do is call 911 so they can send an ambulance to take care of the situation. This will ensure that your injured child gets the best care possible right away.

If you are having trouble thinking clearly or if there is any chance that you or another driver involved in the crash might need immediate medical attention, it is important to call 911 first before doing anything else. This includes comforting your child.

Once you start to give your full attention to your child, you are likely to forget to call for help. Resist the urge to jump straight to tending to your kid and focus on getting them help first.

Go to the Emergency Room after a Car Accident

In any accident, the first thing you should think is, does the injured person or people probably need to go to the emergency room if emergency services do not take them. When kids are involved, always go to the emergency room.

Children are not always able to articulate how they are feeling. Your child could be seriously injured without saying anything or be acting strangely. Emergency room technicians and medical staff are meant to help find any potential problems, but you have to seek medical attention.

Seek Follow-up Medical and Behavioral Health Care

After a child is injured in a car accident, they may have lingering emotional and physical damage. The impact of the crash may even lead to new concerns for a family. It is important to take care of these needs as soon as possible.

It is also important to provide follow up care as well. Many injuries can require ongoing care for children or adults to make a full recovery. Follow the recommendations of the emergency room team, and follow up with your primary care providers. This includes going to therapy appointments if your child is having behavioral or emotional issues. Make sure that you continue care until you are advised otherwise.

Prepare for Ongoing Medical Care

In the aftermath of a car accident, you have to work with your health insurance company and a lawyer. In most cases, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will cover any damages you incur, including medical bills or property damage to your car. This includes the cost of replacing your child’s car seat. In most places, a serious accident voids the certification for the car seat, and it needs to be replaced.

In terms of covered costs, medical bills are almost always that first cost that people think about especially out-of-pocket co-pays and deductibles. However, a car accident attorney representation is necessary to get fair compensation for more than emergency room bills. Ongoing medical care and even behavioral healthcare, such as seeing a therapist, are covered. If your child needs any of these services, the at-fault driver must pay for them.

Contact a New Mexico Car Accident Attorney

Getting help for you and your child can be easy. The emergency room team, your primary care provider, and a qualified lawyer can help you through this difficult time. Contact Dominguez Law by calling our office at (505) 317-9837 or using this contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We also speak Spanish.