Motor vehicle accidents involving a truck tend to be catastrophic due to the sheer size and mass of the vehicle. These accidents can be deadly, resulting in several thousand truck-accident-related deaths each year in the United States. While there are many different ways a truck accident may be caused, speeding is one of the most common causes.
Dominguez Law is a New Mexico personal injury firm with experience helping clients who have been the victims of truck accidents. Speeding while driving any type of vehicle is dangerous, but speeding in a vehicle as large as a truck is incredibly reckless.
What are the Risks of Driving a Truck While Speeding?
Speeding is illegal for a reason. When a driver speeds, they may lose control of their vehicle and cause a damaging accident. When truck drivers do not oblige by traffic laws, they put themselves and other drivers at grave risk. Some reasons that speeding while driving a truck can be dangerous are:
- Difficulty stopping the truck to avoid hitting a front driver
- Most trucks are manufactured to operate at a speed of 75 miles per hour or lower; going above this speed may result in a blowout
- Risk of loss of control of the vehicle
- Failure to react to debris in the road, a pedestrian, or any other obstacle
- Risk of the truck rolling over
If you have been injured in a truck accident caused by a negligent driver speeding, you should contact a trusted truck accident lawyer to get help with your claim.
Common Injuries Suffered after a Truck Accident Caused by Speeding
Truck accidents are considered to be catastrophic, especially when they involve speeding. Victims may suffer from severe injuries including:
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Back, neck, and spine injuries
- Crushed limbs
- Broken or fractured bones
- Loss of limbs
- Cuts or lacerations
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident caused by speeding, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses you have suffered as a result.
Steps to Take After a New Mexico Truck Accident
In the moments following a truck accident, victims may be feeling overwhelmed and frightened as they try to piece together what has occurred. If you have been involved in a truck accident caused by speeding, the following steps are crucial to your safety and well being:
- Call emergency services
- Check yourself and any passengers for serious injuries
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, any property damage, and visible injuries
- Get the contact information of any witnesses who approach you
- Get the name, contact information, and insurance of the at-fault driver
- Give your statement for the police report
- Seek medical attention
In addition to these steps, it is also crucial that you contact a trusted truck accident lawyer who can help you with your accident claim.
Work With a New Mexico Truck Accident Lawyer
When a truck driver’s speeding causes an accident, the results can be catastrophic. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, partner with a trusted truck accident lawyer to get help building a strong claim.
Attorney Dominguez of Dominguez Law is a truck accident lawyer with extensive experience helping clients in New Mexico. Attorney Dominguez understands that this can be a difficult time for clients, which is why he provides them with the award-winning and specialized service they deserve. To schedule a free consultation, fill out this contact form or call (505) 317-9837.