Meeting with a lawyer for the first time can be intimidating, especially when you are already overwhelmed with injuries and stress after surviving a truck accident. Your lawyer’s purpose is to help their clients, and the last thing they want is to add to their frustrations and anxiety.
If you are feeling anxious about meeting with your lawyer or just looking to be more prepared for your consultation, having a list of questions to bring with you could help. To help ease your nerves and ensure you get the most out of your first meeting with your attorney, we made a list of 15 essential questions you should ask your New Mexico truck accident lawyer.
What Should You Ask During a Meeting with a Truck Accident Attorney?
Truck accident cases are highly complex and involve multiple parties and unique laws that aren’t involved in your average car accident case, so it is vital to partner with an attorney experienced in these types of cases. To gather insight on how extensive your lawyer’s truck accident experience or knowledge is, try asking questions such as:
- How many truck accident cases have you handled?
- What is your success rate with truck accident cases?
- Have you faced a corporate legal team in the past?
- Do you have experience handling cases similar to mine?
- How long have you been practicing personal injury law?
- Are you licensed to practice law in New Mexico?
- Can you represent me in court if needed?
- Would you be able to provide references from some of your former clients?
After learning about your lawyer and determining if they are the right fit for your circumstances, you should ask questions that are more specific to your truck accident, such as:
- Do you think my case will settle, or do you think we will have to go to trial?
- Can you give me an approximate value for my case?
- What is your plan to recover compensation for me?
- Do you see any trucking law violations in my case?
- How long do these types of cases usually take?
- How will liability be determined in my truck accident case?
- Are there any potential obstacles you foresee in my case?
By doing your homework and arriving at your consultation for your truck accident with a list of prepared questions, you will have a better chance of maximizing your settlement. Showing up prepared will also ease your nerves and ensure that your relationship with your lawyer starts off on the right foot.
In addition to your list of questions, make sure to bring any documents you have that are related to your accident. Related documentation could be anything from medical records to insurance coverage information, photos of the vehicles, or information from witnesses. The more information you are able to provide your lawyer with, the better.
Start Your New Mexico Truck Accident Claim with a Skilled Attorney
Victims searching for legal representation after a truck crash tend to be highly concerned about costs associated with the legal process. After all, they tend to be dealing with piling medical bills and lost wages from missed work, so it is understandable that this is often a primary concern. At Dominguez Law, we pride ourselves on resolving cases without charging frivolous legal costs because our clients deserve the highest quality service without the outrageous billing of most law firms.
Our team of practiced attorneys is skilled in traversing negotiations with insurance adjusters and will fight tirelessly to protect your rights in the courtroom and to get top dollar for your case. Nobody should have to suffer financial consequences because of another person’s actions. We advocate for families all across New Mexico in times of crisis, and your suffering will not go unnoticed. Call (505) 317-9837 or complete an online contact form to schedule a free consultation with a seasoned truck accident attorney today.